Wherever We Live Now
The Territory of Rain
- Neo-Geopoetics pdf. This essay, which originally appeared in three parts on the blog in 2009, has attracted a consistent level of attention, so I thought it might be useful to make it available as a pdf.
Pamphlets on Monastic Spirituality
I have written several works on the subject of Christian spirituality, specialising in the English medieval mystics. These were first published by The Chapter (ed. Clare Anderson), a quarterly review which ran in the nineties, dedicated to fostering the spirit of St Benedict. You can download these (free of charge) as pdf files:
- The Habit of Simplicity pdf. A short general introduction to Cistercian spirituality, which concentrated on the values most in sympathy with the Transition movement.
- The Twelve Steps of Humility pdf. An essay on the twelfth century classic Twelve Steps of Humility by St Bernard of Clairvaux.
- The Cloud of Unknowing pdf. An essay on the fourteenth century standard work on contemplative prayer.
- Minor Works by the author of The Cloud of Unknowing pdf. A discussion of the Epistle of Prayer and Epistle of Privy Counsel, smaller texts written by the author of the Cloud of Unknowing.
- The Pistel of Praier pdf. A translation of The Epistle of Prayer.
- Merton and the Experience of Contemplation pdf. An essay on the American Cistercian monk and hermit Thomas Merton. This material originally appeared as three consecutive articles in The Chapter. It was later republished as a booklet, and reprinted in The Merton Journal.
- Love was his meaning pdf. On the medieval mystic Julian of Norwich, first published by The Chapter.